///DISCLAIMER: I am not a foster care expert. I have been in this game for a whopping seven months. These answers are based on our experience in Kentucky. If you'd like to learn more about foster care in KY visit the KY Department for Family Services. If you are interested in foster care in another state visit Focus on the Family.///
Who can become foster parents? Adults over 21, married couples and singles.
How much training in required? The State of KY requires 30 hours of initial training and 6 hours each year as continuing education.
Why are kids in foster care? What did they do? Children enter
foster care through no fault of their own. They are victims of neglect of abuse from the adults who
were supposed to take care of them.
Will I have to have contact with their birth parents? Most likely no; although is will depend on the situation. In some cases, it is not safe for the birth family to know where their child is. In others, contact is appropriate and beneficial for the children and the birth parent. Your social worker will determine this with you.
Can you request certain ages/genders/number of children? Yes, your social worker who completes your home study will work with your family on the best fit for your home and current family members.
Are only older kids available to foster/adopt? NO! Every month when our worker visits she shares with me how there are not enough homes for babies. Babies in KY have no home to go out of the hospital to!
Do foster parents pay for the expenses for the kids? Foster parents are provided a
per Diem to care for the foster kids in your home. In MOST cases, this per Diem
continues after the child has been adopted. Health care is also provided for the child and in KY, kids
from foster care can go to any state college for free!
Can I take my foster child across state lines, enroll them in daycare and have babysitters? Yes. In some cases biological parents and/or state supervisors will need to approve travel. Daycare centers and babysitters have to be approved by the state but the process if (fairly) pain free.
How much does it cost to adopt from foster care? It is essentially FREE. There are attorney costs but the state will reimburse you for the majority of these fees.
Can biological parents gain back custody of their kids? No. Once parental rights are terminated, biological parents cannot gain them back.
Will it be hard? Will I get attached? Yes and Yes. In the paraphrased words of Amy Monroe "You can handle getting
attached and getting hurt. You're an adult. You can handle it. They are
kids."
What did I miss? Please ask away in the comments section or send me an email!








Hi! I found your blog through your guest post on Traded Dreams and I'm excited to be following along. I love finding blogs about adoption. God gave me a passion for orphans and adoption a little over a year ago and we hope to adopt one day. I love learning all I can and connecting with others with the same passion.
ReplyDeleteThe more I read and learn about the foster care system, the more I feel a tug in that direction. Thanks for sharing!
That's great - thanks for sharing Megan!
Delete